small part of the collections relating to Ludlow is on public
display in the historic Buttercross in the centre of town facing down Broad Street.
was designed by William Baker
of Audlem and was built in 1743–46 to replace the 16th
Century New House, where the Corporation held its meetings. It
was originally the site of the High Cross, which was the
official centre of the town. The building was originally
constructed of Cornbrook Sandstone from up on Clee Hill a few
miles to the east but later partly rebuilt using Grinshill
Sandstone from north of Shrewsbury, some 40 miles to the north.
More recent repairs have utilised Carboniferous Sandstone from
Derbyshire, of similar colour but a quite different texture.
The museum is accessed either by the narrow staircase off the
pedestrianised Church Street or by the lift located within the
open space on the ground floor. It
is now open
days a week
apply on Bank
refer to the
web site for further
has written a
review of the
open day here.
The Friends sponsored a poster to advertise the reopening of the
Town Museum in 2016. This can be viewed in more detail by
clicking on the image below (which has a large file size of some
8 Mb), or downloaded as a more compact pdf by clicking