Friends of Ludlow Museum have been instrumental in supporting
the owners of the museum collections to ensure that the
collections are accessible to the general public. This includes
understanding the importance and relevance of the items as well
as providing physical access to view them.
This support been maintained ever since the museum was founded
in 1833 by the Ludlow Natural History Society.
The current owners, Shropshire Council Museums Service, were
supported by the Friends in their endeavours to rehouse the
museum from unsatisfactory accommodation in Old Street that had
formerly been offices to a purpose-built structure in the centre
of town, just outside the north-east corner of the medieval town
walls. Substantial funds were raised to support this work, from
businesses and local people, and used as matched funding for a
grant from the Heritage Lottery Fund.
The new building was opened by Her Majesty The Queen
in 2003 and now houses the collections for the whole
county of Shropshire.